Members and friends assembled at Chailey Smock Mill for the start of the tour. Chailey Mill was originally built at Highbrook, five miles from her present site, moved to the Newhaven area, before being moved again to her present site in the centre of Sussex. Although devoid of most of her machinery, during her working life the mill had three pairs of underdrift stones.
The tour then proceeded to Sheffield Watermill, an early corn mill site, first mentioned in 1197. This mill last worked in 1928.
Nutley Post Mill was the next mill visited, before a break for lunch.
Moat Watermill is now converted into a residence. Here much of the original and exceptional wooden machinery has survived.
The tour proceeded to to Blackdown Smock Mill at Punnett's Town. This mill was painstakingly rebuilt to working condition by Archie Dallaway from 1946.
The final mill to be visited was Buxted Mill, a corn mill on the River Uck. This mill worked until 1936, but only the framework of the wheel remains.
An enjoyable and interesting tour, very well organised by Bob Bonnett, with the added bonus of fine weather.
Report compiled by Robin Jones