PETWORTH, WEST SUSSEX
The Coultershaw Beam Pump was installed in 1782, at the instigation of the 3rd Earl Egremont, to supplement the water supply to Petworth House and the town. It is located on the A285 1½ miles south of Petworth (National Grid Reference SU 972194). The pump is driven by an 11ft diameter waterwheel.
Coultershaw has been the site of various water-driven mills. In 1534 there were two corn mills and a malting mill. In 1910 the corn mill was modernised: the wheel was replaced by a water turbine and the stones replaced by steel rollers. In 1919 an engine house was built to provide stand-by power. The first engine is believed to have been a "single cylinder oil engine". A second turbine was added in 1922. The original engine was replaced by two Gardiner oil engines.