Mr. Oram's mill came to be known as Dungate or Duncton mill and is first shown on Yeakell and Gardner's map of 1780. A sale notice in 1816 described this as; "a substantial built post mill carrying two pairs of stones." She was brought into the wind by hand using a tailpole and talthur as is Nutley post mill on Ashdown Forest today.
Sadly no illustration of this mill survives. Although it is popularly believed that John Constable painted her, none of his windmill works carried out during visits to Brighton in the 1820s appear to represent this mill.
She was undoubtedly equipped with common sweeps in her early days, these being covered to a greater or lesser degree with canvas according to the strength of wind. This again can be seen at Nutley.
These sweeps may well have been modernised later, with the coming of spring-shuttered sweeps in the late 18th century and Cubitt's patent shuttered sweeps in the early 19th century which used a counterweight system.
Unlike Nutley however, Duncton mill had a single-storey brick roundhouse surrounding the trestle timbers. This was left standing when the mill was taken down about 1866, and still stands next to the tower of Jack. Millers included Edward Oram 1767-1787, John Geere 1809, Thomas Hicks 1810, and John Hamlin 1816. Later came James Mitchell who is shown on the Tithe Award Map of Clayton for 1838 as 'tenant miller'. The mill ground was owned by William John Campion.
Kelly's Directory and the census returns show Mr. Mitchell initially as 'farmer-miller'.
Amongst his casual customers during the year the names Medhurst and Lashmar appear, both of whom figure in the history of the second post mill to stand on the hill.
Duncton mill was bringing in an annual income of over £ 2,500 and Mitchell felt the need to expand his business. John Young Lashmar had been working a Brighton post mill, built in 1821, which stood to the east of Dyke Road on a site which is today occupied by part of Russell Terrace and immediately above Belmont railway tunnel.
A newspaper item dated 16th January 1830 reads: "On Sunday last while Lashmar's mill was working the main beam suddenly broke, and the swifts, or sails, which turn thereon, were carried a considerable distance. Two of them struck a storehouse in a corner of the field, in which the mill stands, and carried away nearly all the slated roof ". A new metal canister was fitted the following year, cast into this is the legend "I.L. 1831", being the millwrights Ingledew and Lashmar.
This mill was the most southerly of three post mills on the road as shown in an engraving dated 1847. Earlier Nash had painted a scene in 1839 which showed the eastern portal of Belmont tunnel under construction, with the top of Mr. Lashmar's mill showing over the hill above. This was just before the completion of the Shoreham line out of Brighton which pre-dated the through line from London. These
illustrations show the mill here to have had a roof-mounted fan similar to that seen at Icklesham mill near Rye in East Sussex.
Brighton was expanding rapidly with the coming of the railways and building work progressed back from the sea, taking away Mr. Lashmar's wind. The mill was no doubt idle before being removed to allow Russell Terrace to be built. In 1852 Mitchell purchased Lashmar's mill and had her brought up to Clayton where she was re-erected to the west of the old Duncton post mill.
The date of her removal is confirmed by a sale notice which appeared in the Brighton Gazette for the fortnight commencing 1st April 1852.